How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Georgia and Tennessee?
Whenever a new home or building is being constructed, it’s important to treat lumber and use termite-resistant materials to help prevent infestations.
No one wants to learn their brand-new home has termites, which is why it’s essential to take all possible measures to prevent future infestations during the construction phase. To prevent termites when building a new home, it’s smart to apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built. Some of the common ways you can lessen the chances of termites when building a new home include:
- Treat the lumber that will be used to construct the home
- Use termite-resistant materials instead of or in addition to wood
- Apply chemicals on all points of contact where wood directly touches the ground
- Implement preventative safety measures to ensure the new home is protected
Termite Prevention Before Construction
When building a new structure, there are a number of things that can be done to protect the new building from termites. The most important step in any pre-construction phase is treating the soil before moving forward with anything else. Doing this can form a chemical barrier to prevent termites from getting near the building during construction and long after as well. Other important techniques to help prevent termites during the home-building process include:
- Using pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Trying to limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensuring the home will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
- Building the home in such a way to create proper drainage, which is best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, being wary of keeping wood sitting above the ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Integrating a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build, which can help block entry points.
Ready for your FREE pest control quote?
Click the request free quote button below to leave your information.
Post-Construction Termite Prevention
Even if your brand-new home is built with termite-resistant materials and techniques, it’s still important to implement ongoing prevention methods yourself and also receive annual inspections. Just as with a home of any age, continually treating your property is your best chance at preventing termites. The best thing you can do to ensure your new home stays termite-free is to sign up for regular inspections by a professional pest control company!
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Georgia and Tennessee? in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN