How Can I Prevent Termites Naturally?
While all-natural methods aren’t typically powerful enough to treat active termites, there are several DIY measures that may help to protect your property from termites in the first place.
Many people are wary of using chemical-filled products in their home, even when it comes to controlling pests. Thankfully, there are a number of all-natural methods to help keep termites away from your property. It’s important to note that termites are notoriously difficult to get rid of and almost always require professional treatment. That said, there are a number of all-natural techniques that may help keep termites away from your property:
- Orange oil
- Cardboard traps
- Exposure to sunlight
- Diatomaceous earth
- Boric acid
All-Natural Termite Prevention
It’s understandable why so many people are uncomfortable using chemical measures to prevent pests in the home. Unless it’s absolutely necessary, chemicals shouldn’t be used around kids or pets! Thankfully, there are a number of all-natural methods that have proven effective when used for preventative purposes. Some of the most used eco-friendly prevention methods include:
- Orange oil: This eco-friendly solution can be sprayed into high-risk areas for termites, including crawl spaces and attics.
- Cardboard traps: These are often effective because they contain the cellulose that attracts termites. The hope is that any nearby termites will gather near the trap, which can then be disposed of by burning.
- Sunlight: Termites are very sensitive to sunlight; exposing infested furniture to daylight can kill off any hiding termites.
- Diatomaceous earth: Used to control many types of garden pests, this can be mixed with soil, water, or paint to help keep termites away.
- Nematodes: Certain groups of parasitic nematodes are known to feed on termites, making them a natural form of biological control.
- Boric acid: Available in liquid or dust form, boric acid works to kill termites and other pests in or near the home.
Ready for your FREE pest control quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Can I Use Natural Methods to Treat Termites?
If you can stop the problem before it starts, there’s no need to worry about using chemical products in your home. Unfortunately, if you have an active termite infestation, treatment needs to be handled by a professional who can use the most effective products available, including baiting systems and termiticides. Orange oil, sunlight, nematodes, and other natural prevention methods simply won’t hold up when you are taking on a full-blown infestation, and it’s important to eradicate all termites from your home as soon as possible.
DIY vs. Professional Termite Prevention
Preventing termites naturally has been known to work if you are dedicated to staying on top of administering treatment. As with all pests, prevention is the best form of control. In addition to these natural methods, it’s still very important to get regular inspections by an expert who can seek out early signs of termites in your home. A professional can also help you determine which prevention tactics may work best for your unique property.
How Can I Prevent Termites Naturally? in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN