Why Does Cockroach Activity Spike in the Summer?
If you’re wondering when “cockroach season” is, we’re in the midst of it! Summertime sees a growth in cockroach infestations and populations, especially here in the Atlanta GA area. Although roaches can survive in many different climates and environments, they generally prefer warm, humid temperatures. As soon as summer rolls around, roaches are more likely to be on the hunt for food. While they breed year-round, the reproduction rate goes up during the summer. Keep reading to learn about summertime cockroach activity as well as what you can do to prevent it with tips from Allgood Pest Solutions.
The Season of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are a common household pest all year long. So why are they more populous in the summertime? Most roach species are drawn to warm or moist environments, which is why they frequently inhabit bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Many cockroaches lie dormant in the wintertime, but rising temperatures encourage them to resume activity. In cases of extreme heat, cockroaches that otherwise stay outdoors will flood inside in search of food, water, and relief from the heat. This is why we get so many calls for roach infestations this time of year!
How to Keep Cockroaches Out
No one wants to deal with a cockroach problem in the summer, or any time of year for that matter. Our best summertime cockroach prevention tips are as follows.
- Inspect the perimeter of your home and seal cracks and crevices. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keep a clean kitchen and bathroom. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes as soon as possible.
- After feeding your pets, pick up pet bowls and avoid leaving food out overnight or for days at a time.
- Keep all food securely sealed in airtight containers, and refrigerate unsealed food.Ensure your garbage is sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out when needed.
- Avoid leaving piles of clutter or junk both inside and outside of your property.
- Because cockroaches love moisture, promptly fix any leaky pipes or clogged rain gutters.
Summertime Cockroach Control
Cockroaches are certainly a nuisance, but they can be dangerous too. Not only are they difficult to get rid of, roaches can carry and spread a number of harmful bacteria and germs. Even seeing one roach often indicates there are many more hidden nearby. Unfortunately, DIY cockroach control is fruitless. Always contact the licensed roach exterminators at Allgood if you are dealing with a summertime cockroach infestation.
Why Does Cockroach Activity Spike in the Summer? in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN