What Is This Fast Moving Silver Bug?
These long, slender, flat nocturnal bugs may look like something out of a horror film, but they are generally harmless–unless you’re a piece of paper, important document, or a photo. Yup, silverfish eat these things. They also eat things like carpeting, clothing, coffee, dandruff, glue, hair, some kinds of paints, plaster, sugar, cereal, starchy foods, dead insects, silk, or even their own exoskeletons. Eww!
So even though these silvery light gray, wingless insects are not a direct threat to humans, they are a threat to our stuff. Who wants to find holes chewed through a precious photo album or favorite item of clothing? Who wants to see one of these silver “fish” seemingly “swim” across their bathroom floor? No one. What are some things a homeowner can do to get rid of these little monsters? Or, keep them out in the first place?
- Place cockroach sticky traps around your home.
- Use small, glass jars covered on the outside with masking tape. (The silverfish climb up the rough sides and fall into the glass but can’t get back out.) This is because silverfish fish can’t climb on smooth surfaces. They need tiny footholds to run across walls.
- These insects love moisture. They are drawn to areas with high humidity where it is warm and dark. So keep basements, laundry rooms, bathrooms, and other places that might be damp, as dry as possible by using dehumidifiers or fans.
- Keep dust and clutter to a minimum and periodically clean out drawers and closets to minimize the items silverfish can feed on.
- Repair any leaky faucets or pipes.
- Seal all gaps and cracks in your foundation walls, inside and out.
- Always close your shower curtain completely.
- Keep food in sealed containers.
- You can deter these pests like you would deter any pest that invades your home looking for food. Be sure to sweep, vacuum and mop regularly. Silverfish can live for a year or more without food.
If you have a silverfish problem, consider calling in a professional pest control company. The experts here at Allgood Pest Solutions can help you control your silverfish problem safely and effectively. We offer customized, year-round protection for silverfish, and a whole host of other potentially hazardous, household pests. Give Allgood Pest Solutions a call, and we will protect your home, your possessions, and your peace of mind.
What Is This Fast Moving Silver Bug? in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN