What Are Overwintering Pests?
Overwintering pests are insects or other pests that enter homes in the fall for warmth and shelter throughout the colder months of the year. These pests will make themselves at home right in your residence, often in your attic, basement, or crawl space. Some of the most common overwintering pests in Atlanta include mice, rats, squirrels, and bats, along with fall invader pests such as boxelder bugs and stink bugs.
No one wants any pests hunkering down for the winter in their home, which is why it’s so important to learn how to prevent overwintering pests.
Which Pests Overwinter In My House?
The lack of activity in certain areas of your home, such as the attic, makes for the perfect shelter for pests and rodents. The following pests are known to be the most common to overwinter in your attic:
- House mice: These mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items.
- Roof rats: Just as their name suggests, roof rats can squeeze their way indoors and up to the attic in your home.
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Their presence causes a lot of mess to clean up.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures.
- Squirrels: The attic is the perfect place for squirrels to burrow and hide out the colder months of the year.
How to Prevent Overwintering Pests
To prepare for the cold months ahead, there are several things you can do to make your property less attractive to pests looking to stay inside this time of year:
- Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit access to pests.
- Secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or roof openings.
- Make sure your trash cans are securely stored in your hard with tight-fitting lids to keep pests out.
- In your attic, organize all items and eliminate any clutter. Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes for storage.
- Inspect both inside out outside the attic, and seal any cracks or crevices with caulk or steel wool.
How to Get Rid of Pests in the Attic
Whether you suspect there are bats or squirrels in your attic, it’s important to always enlist the help of a professional pest control company. Allgood Pest Solutions is your local leader in wildlife cleanup and exclusion services, and can help protect your home from pests not just in the winter but all year long. Contact us today to learn more!
What Are Overwintering Pests? in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN