The Season of Spiders
Spiders can be a common pest year-round here in Georgia. Most spiders hatch in the springtime, begin to reproduce in the summer, and are at full force by the time the late summer and early fall months roll around. This is why fall is sometimes called the season of spiders! The good news is that most spiders you will encounter in your home are not going to be of harm to you or your family.
That said, there are a couple of spiders in particular that you should look out for both inside and outside your property at all times. These spiders, the black widow and brown recluse, are known to be more aggressive and may administer a nasty bite when threatened. Keep reading to learn more about spiders in the fall.
5 Ways to Prevent Fall Spiders
Dangerous or not, no one wants spiders invading their property any time of the year. Thankfully, there are several things you can do to make your property less attractive to these creepy crawlers:
- Maintain a tidy yard and lawn. Overgrown bushes, shrubs, piles of wood, and more can attract spiders to your property and eventually indoors.
- Regularly clean your home. Doing so can prevent insects that spiders like to prey on and eliminate hiding spots for pests.
- Seal cracks and crevices. Inspect the inside and outside of your property for tiny spots that may be inviting spiders in, and seal properly.
- Install or repair screens on doors and windows. Tight-fitting screens are the key to keeping insects, spiders included, out.
- Inspect boxes and used furniture prior to bringing them inside. Egg sacs and adult spiders can be lurking!
Two Dangerous Spiders to Avoid
Most spiders are poisonous in the sense that they contain venom. However, most spiders are not capable of biting humans and transmitting this venom. That said, there are two spiders in particular that are of more danger to you and your family. The black widow is best identified by its unique red hourglass shape on its body. These spiders build sticky, tangled cobwebs in garages, sheds, and near the ground.
Brown recluse spiders, on the other hand, have a darker brown violin-shaped mark and are brown in color. They build looser webs for shelter. They are known to be aggressive when threatened and could administer a bite.
Fall Spiders in Georgia
Although spiders are common year-round, they are more active in the late summer and fall months. If you are dealing with excess spiders in the home, it’s best to contact your local spider exterminators at Allgood Pest Solutions.
The Season of Spiders in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN