October: Season of the Rodent
Fall is considered by most people to be one of the nicest times of the year. Cooler temperatures not only signal the start of the holiday season, but also the beginning of rodent season. Every October, rodents become a serious problem in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN as temperatures drop. Like many other types of pests, mice and rats begin to seek shelter from the weather outside, which is why they make their way indoors. Read on to learn five main ways you can keep rodents outside this fall.
How to Rodent-Proof Your Home
To prevent rats and mice from getting inside during the fall, there are a number of things you can do to protect your home. Five ways you can keep rats and mice out of your home this season include:
- Seal windows and doors. Rodents are known for their ability to squeeze through the tiniest of openings, which is why it’s important to seal any cracks or openings in your windows and doors.
- Place screens over chimneys and vents. Rats and mice may feel the warm air escaping your chimney and vents, and make their way indoors. Properly cover your vent systems and chimney.
- Fix or replace faulty pipes. Rodents are great swimmers and can make their way through your plumbing. Always fix any broken pipes in a timely manner to keep rats and mice from getting in.
- Store food properly. Rats and mice will seek out food inside of homes. Always keep food stored in airtight containers and clean up messes or spills after meals.
- Keep a tidy home. Rodents are a big fan of clutter, and are attracted to messy basements and attics. Even worse, they’ll use the clutter to build their nests. Always clean up messes and avoid excess clutter.
Rats and Mice in the Fall
By protecting your home and eliminating their chances of getting inside in the first place, you can avoid dealing with a rodent infestation in the fall. Unfortunately, rats and mice are infamous for making their way indoors by any means, especially when temperatures drop. Once indoors, they can be difficult to get rid of without professional help from a rodent control company. There are a number of DIY solutions to controlling rats and mice, but they are not reliable or good for long-term protection. As soon as you notice a mouse or rat inside your home, it’s important to enlist the help of a rodent exterminator.
How to Get Rid of Rats
Getting rid of rats always requires exclusion efforts. If you followed the aforementioned tips for protecting your home and still find yourself with a rodent problem, it’s time to call a professional. Rodents aren’t just gross—they are carriers of filth and disease, and need to be controlled in a reliable and timely manner. Allgood Pest Solutions knows not only how to get rid of rodents, but also how to keep them from ever returning.
October: Season of the Rodent in Atlanta & Knoxville Metros and Surrounding Areas
Serving Clients in Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN